Sunday, March 30, 2008

Farmer Jared

So, for the last couple months, we've really had this urgency. It usually comes and goes, but this time, it's really staying. We've been working really hard on food storage, emergency preparedness, and our garden and animals. I keep teasing Jared that he's a city boy from CA just trying to fit in here in rural small town, UT! To date, we have 4 egg-laying hens (for eggs) , 10 growing chicks (for meat and more hens), 30,000+ Bees (honey), 1 dog (for hunting and fun), a bunny hutch to be filled with rabbit for meat, and a goat pen (currently waiting for a very pregnant goat to give us kids). In our garden, we are growing lots of different things. We tried heirloom seeds this time so we can save the seeds and use them year after year. We are also in the process of ripping out that back two slabs of cement (they've been filled with the float, Dave's old car, and last year's mulch. It's time to go!!!) to make room for a small orchard of sorts. We'll have room for 6-8 fruit trees, depending on the variety. I'm super excited! It's funny because normally I'm the crazy one with the silly ideas. This is Jared. I support him, of course, but he's the Lead Crazy on this one!! I keep wondering if we need to move for more land, but I REALLY like where we're at, and I really don't feel we should go right now. With the new Trax going in right next to our existing tracks, we really won't have many options for selling this home until they come in and we can show it's not so bad. We may be here awhile. The nice thing about the train tracks is that we have far less car traffic. That, and with Trax coming, it will be a no-blow zone. Whee!! I am willing to deal with that trade!!
So, Jared now spends all him free time (and sometimes not so free) outside playing in the dirt. He used up some of his Hilton Honors points to "buy" a tiller. It works great - it's his favorite toy right now. He also wants to get a Chipper. Believe me, I want him to have one!! We have a couple piles of branches around the yard. They could chip it down and mulch it and make my yard look nicer! I have a thing about having a trashy yard.
This morning, we woke up to snow. We had a lot of snow this winter. I am ready for Spring. We started all our seeds inside so we wouldn't have to wait so long for produce.
This morning, "we" (ME) also woke up quite early with the kids. Seth woke up early (6ish) and couldn't go back to sleep, so he thought he'd wake up Jacob for company, Jacob came into my room. It's 8am and breakfast is done and I'm going to go back to bed!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonja!

Maren here. I have NO clue how I came across your blog/journal! I kind of feel like I'm invading, but I hope you don't mind me following your comings and goings over there! I took some time the other day to read back on some of your entries...VERY scary incident with your carbon monoxide poisoning! We have gas leaks here at my house (bad water heater hook up...well, better than it was) but luckily, we can actually smell that poison!

Hope you can stop by my blog...I haven't updated in over a MONTH, but I plan to get it going again soon.

Talk to you later!