So, apparently I have a heart thing called Long QT Syndrome. Every step of this new reality has been a blessing. I passed out a couple times and totally discounted each one individually until I realized a pattern. After the last one, I already had on my to-do list to make an apt for Jared that afternoon so I went ahead and made a double apt so we could check my bloodwork (being totally convinced I was low on iron or something similar). He ended up testing my blood for a hundred things and also ordering ab EKG (heart) and EEG (brain) test. I got permission from everyone and went off to Girl's Camp and did the 4th Year Overnight Hike and everything. (I later used this reason over and over as an argument to why I did NOT have this thing..) I got back from Girl's Camp and went in to see the cardiologist on Tuesday because they found something on the EKG and Holter Monitor tests. I thought we were going in for a tilt table test, but we got there and he did another EKG. Comparing the 2 and hearing about how I was passing out got him concerned. He then told me there is something called "Long QT" that he is suspecting. I then whipped out the email from my mother describing how Long QT runs in our family. At that, he about jumped out of his seat while still maintaining that calm and under-control bedside manner he was taught about. He put me on the 2 week monitor and made another apt for the week after that came back to come up with options. I got the monitor on Wednesday afternoon. On Saturday, he called my cell phone to tell me he is not comfortable with waiting and that his scheduler would be calling me Monday to have me come in for surgery in the next couple weeks. By the time she called me Monday evening, I had my arguments for why I needed to wait the full couple weeks (Ethan's baptism, Logan's school testing, Parkin family reunion, just don't wanna, etc...). She heard all that and said well... you can come in tomorrow morning, or Friday morning. I politely said, "Friday, please." Bishop is fine with postponing the baptism a month, and I had no problem delegating or cancelling everything else.
I was a little crazy about having my home and life organized enough for someone else to come in and help. My Mom was gong to come out thursday evening and stay for a week to help. On Tuesday morning, before my surgery, my Grandpa Lorenzo passed away. Mom spent all week helping Grandmother, then played the piano for all the different memorials and the funeral.
On Thursday, my good friend Laurel came over and helped me finish the crazy stuff that didn't really need to be finished for any reason other than it made me feel better. Then, she helped get my kids in bed so we could meet all the company coming over that evening (Stake Presidency and Bishop). Then, she gave me a foot rub. Wow.
Friday morning, my good friend Becky had arranged to have her kids elsewhere so she could focus on having a great day with my kids. I went in for surgery at 6 and I think it was closer to 7 or 8 before wheeling me down there. I was reading a chick flick to keep my mind off the inevitable. I changed into my might-as-well-be-naked gown and laid on the table feeling very much exposed while all the funny blue people rushed around arguing. It was kinda funny. I guess I made one too many smart aleck remarks because that is the very lsat thing I remember. They must have pushed the drugs through the IV while I wasn't paying attention. Rude! I came out of surgery around 10 and took all the way until 4pm to wake up out of it. That was brief. I sorta dosed for the rest of the evening. Poor Jared hung out and was such a good sport. It seems Matt and Casey and Lyndie were there at one point, but it must not have been very good conversation for me to keep falling asleep like that! Just kidding! I had a hard time sleeping the rest of the night and ended up reacting to the antibiotics. Itchy city! It was terrible! Then, they gave me a dose of Benadryl an hour before the midnight dose. Then, it was two kinds of terrible. I hate Benadryl. And I hate being so stinking itchy. But, I do like having my heart beating...
So Saturday morning, they did an X-Ray to make sure the leads were still all the way down in my heart. They were not. The one side was too tight, so they had to go back in to fix it. I don't know if it was a case of not measuring it right the first time, or if I was more swollen than he expected. He did say I had a 90% chance of it healing just fine with no problems, but he wasn't real happy with those odds when remembering the whole Mom thing at home. I feel good about that decision. I pulled a stubborn streak, of course, and refused more anesthetics. I hate the way they make me feel and was still feeling the affects of it from the day before. They gave me local anesthetics, but held real still and did the whole thing with no drugs. I was totally awake for the whole thing. It was actually kind of cool to hear everything. I gave them permission to stick whatever they needed to in my IV the second they felt like I wasn't dealing with the pain well enough. The Dr said I was the first to actually make it through. Whee for me! It sure felt like they were taking turns punching me, but I made it through with my labor breathing techniques. Every time they asked if I doing ok, I just told them it was still easier than having a 10 pounder with no drugs! I had to keep my mood light to convince them I was good with no drugs. It worked great!
They gave me different antibiotics and that worked better. Whew! Dr. Som promised I could still go home on time, or at least close to that. He kept his word and released me at about 11pm. Better late than never. We got home and my sweet husband helped me wash my hair and get dressed in clean clothes. It felt so good to be in my own bed! Even if I did have a hard time sleeping! I just couldn't get comfortable. I finally used a small pillow to prop up my sore spot so I could try sleeping on my side. That worked a bit.
Since being home, I have enjoyed a mopped floor and cleaned out fridge from Laurel and Collette; fabulous dinner from Gayla and Tiffany, and dessert from Sarah; an awesome get-well poster from my boys and the Millers, a care package from Anna (including a frozen meal and many movies and treats and magazines) and Nicki (more magazines and treats); a beautiful collection of flowers and notes from different friends and neighbors that Sherri arranged. I'm overwhelmed. And it's been one day. Part of me hopes the last person (or the next person) to get sick in our ward doesn't get her feelings hurt with less, but the other more selfish part of me is LOVING this! I have gotten the nicest notes from sisters I thought were annoyed by me. I have received kind services from sisters I wouldn't think had or would give that time. I'm overwhelmed. I have a LOT of thank you notes to write. Fun!!!!!!
I am trying very hard to find the balance between being honest with how I'm feeling so I can get the care I need right now, and not whining and making life miserable for those surrounding me. I haven't figured that out yet. Jared is already acting tired of it all. Not a good sign.
Oh, and just in case my situation isn't sad enough, I am sitting in a bright flowery moo-moo and loving the breeze.
Peace-out.
Monday, August 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh bless you achy-brakey heart! I had no idea that you had to go back in for the leads, until this morning! Mom emailed me about some stuff and in it, she asked if I had heard about it! I hadn't. I hope you're feeling well, or better. I'll email you later...my appt. with the electrophysiologist is in two hours! Yippee. Now I get to tell him all about YOU!!!
Post a Comment